Are you looking for an assisted living facility for a senior or for your loved one with a memory disorder? Starting the process of choosing a facility can be intimidating since you want to make sure you choose the right one that will help keep your loved one safe, happy and well taken care of.
How to Find the Right Assisted Living Facility
The first thing you can do to find an assisted living facility is to compile a list of facilities near you. Once you have a list, take your research online and look at each facility’s website and make sure they offer the kinds of services you are looking for. Are you needing memory care? What level of services are you needing? This can help shorten your list if some of the ones on your list do not offer specific things that you need.
Then, ask around for recommendations. Ask your family, friends, and coworkers if they have any experience regarding the assisted living facilities on your short list.
Steps to Selecting the Assisted Living Community:
Narrow your list down to facilities that you would like to visit and schedule a tour at each. Before and after your tour, consider the following:
- Know your diagnosis. Make sure you are realistic about the current needs of your loved one and potential future needs. Will the facility be able to handle your loved one’s needs now and in the future?
- Gather information. Ask for information about specific Assisted living services, costs, brochures, and floor plans with any available information.
- Understand costs. Come up with a budget and understand if there are opportunities to spend down as your loved one ages.
- Think ahead. Prepare a list of questions to ask the facility.
- Get to know the staff. When you visit the facility, introduce yourself and talk with the staff. Get to know the people that might take care of your loved one in the future.
- Check out the cleanliness of the facility. When touring the facility, make sure it’s clean and well-maintained
- Make sure you keep your paperwork. More than likely, the facility will give you a brochure or maybe even a contract. Make sure you take the paperwork home so you can thoroughly review it.
If the whole process seems daunting and challenging, we’ve got you covered! With many assisted living facilities located in Texas, our staff members will provide the answer to all your questions!