Each year on the longest day of the year — the summer solstice on June 21 — participants from around the globe join together to fight the darkness of Alzheimer’s Disease. The Longest Day events worldwide raise funds and awareness for the care, support and research efforts of the Alzheimer’s Association.
In the U.S. alone, more than five million people are living with Alzheimer’s disease. By the year 2050, this number is expected to rise as high as 16 million, according to the Alzheimer’s Association. Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. The Longest Day is a global effort to fund research efforts until together we can end Alzheimer’s.
June 21 is the day with the most light. The Longest Day symbolizes the dark and difficult journey faced by those living with Alzheimer’s disease and their caregivers. Teams are encouraged to turn their passions and hobbies into unique experiences they can share with others as they participate in The Longest Day to honor those living with the disease.
Watch this video and be inspired.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/ff3uXoOuJLw” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
Here’s how you can participate in The Longest Day 2019:
- Select an activity you love. Do something you love — or honor a caregiver, someone living with Alzheimer’s, or someone you’ve lost by selecting his or her favorite hobby.
- Pick a way to participate. Start or join a team, host an event, or register as an individual. Choose the way that works best for you! Learn more here.
- Raise money to move the cause forward. To advance research and provide care and support, each participant is asked to raise funds for the efforts of the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Plan your day. Find an activity happening near you and plan to join in, or plan your own activity and invite friends and family to join you. For ideas, click here.
- Participate — and celebrate! On The Longest Day, you’re part of a global movement to help end Alzheimer’s disease. Share your photos, stories and fundraising successes on social media and show your love across the world by using the hashtags #TheLongestDay and #ENDALZ.
For more information on how to participate, or to register, click here.
Every dollar raised on The Longest Day goes directly to the Alzheimer’s Association to provide care and support to those facing Alzheimer’s, drive research toward treatment, prevention and a cure, and to advocate for the needs and rights of people affected by Alzheimer’s disease.