If your family has decided to move a loved one into a care home, it can be daunting to sort through all the information to select the best home for your loved one. You may find that many of the homes have full-time staff, medical providers, cafeterias, etc. However, though these amenities look very inviting on the surface, it is important to understand and agree to the costs. What can you afford and what does insurance cover? Let us break down the two options.
All-inclusive care home — All-inclusive pricing means no hidden fees; all services and care is included. It should include highly qualified, 24-hour staff with access to nursing, personal care assistance, medications supervision, meals, snacks and specialized activities.
Pay-per-service —Similar services are offered in this option as with all-inclusive care. Your loved one will still receive meals, medication supervision, housekeeping and full-time care. Where this option takes a turn is often in the extra costs. For example, if your loved one is unable to or refuses to go to the cafeteria for food, they do have the option of eating in their rooms, but this may come at an additional cost. Sometimes, it can be as simple as having a staff member help with daily care tasks like showering. Again, if a staff member must aid your loved one during a bath, there is an extra cost. Although the base cost may be much lower than all-inclusive care, those extras can add up quickly.
Services that your loved one should receive for all aspects of daily living:
- Highly qualified 24-hour staffing
- Licensed nurses and certified medication aides
- Certified Alzheimer’s-trained activity director
- Activity programs designed for memory impairment
- Personalized care for all stages of Alzheimer’s
- Specially trained staff in Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Lewy Body dementia
- Wellness monitoring with monthly weight checks
- Three nutritious meals daily and snacks
- Menu evaluation from registered dietitian
- Pharmacy consultant services
- Bathing assistance
- Laundry and housekeeping
- Incontinence care and toileting assistance
Once you understand all the services your loved should receive, it is easy to see that the cost can add up quickly when paying for each service ala carte. Finding a memory care home that offers all inclusive pricing with no hidden fees offers peace of mind knowing that your loved one will receive all the care they need. All inclusive pricing also makes budgeting much easier.