Deciding to move you or a loved one into an independent living community is not an easy decision. Every facility offers different amenities and services, so choosing the right one for you or a loved one can be difficult to narrow down.
Features to Look for In an Independent Living Community
- Transportation – Check to see if the facility offers transportation to appointments.
- Dining options – Find out if there’s a dietician on staff and if they cater meals to specific dietary needs.
- Budget – Does the facility fall into your budget?
- Amenities – What amenities are you looking for? Is a hair salon or gym important for your loved one? Look for an independent living community that caters to the amenities you are wanting.
- Housekeeping and maintenance – Ask about laundry services and housekeeping. How often are these services done?
Take a Tour
When looking for an independent living community, it’s important to take a tour of the facility. When touring, check for the cleanliness of the facility. Are the restrooms clean? Is the dining room spotless? When taking a tour, don’t be afraid to talk to the residents. Do they look well-groomed and well taken care of? Ask them how they like the community. Recommendations of the independent living community are a great sign.
When choosing a facility, make sure they cater to the needs of your loved one. The Cottages understands the need for full-time and temporary care and caters to those needs by offering respite part-time or during the day. Regardless of the length of stay, the quality of care remains the same. When choosing an independent living community, there is no care provided, if you or your loved one needs care (whether medication management, assistance with bathing or dressing, etc) then an assisted living facility like The Cottages may be a better match. It’s important to not settle, find a place for your loved one in a community that you feel comfortable calling home for them.